Sentara is very grateful for requests to make masks and are accepting reusable adult face masks but need them to meet the following criteria:
• The following patterns are recommended: Craft Passion: Face Mask Sewing Pattern or The Stitching Scientist
• Recommended fabric for the outer portion of the mask includes heavier, non-stretch fabric such as denim, duck cloth, canvas, twill, or other tight woven fabric.
• Recommended fabric for the inner lining can be either cotton or cotton-blend non-stretch fabric.
• It is important to have two layers for protection needed in a healthcare setting.
• Must be laundered in HOT water prior to sewing to prevent future shrinkage.
• Polyester or other less breathable fabric will not work as well, due to moisture produced when breathing.
• If using denim or other fabric that is being “recycled”, please be sure it is clean and in good shape. Worn or dirty fabric will not be protective.
• Elastic should be in good shape, with plenty of stretch and of an appropriate size to fit over the ears. 1/16 inch round cord or 1/8 inch braided work best.
• If elastic is not available, fabric ties can be sewn on the mask. There will need to be 4 ties (one tie on each of the 4 corners). Ties should be approx. ¼ inch in width, sewn in such a way that there are no frayed edges, and long enough to be tied into a bow on the top of the head for the top corners and behind the head for the bottom corners.